Monday 16 July 2007

Holidays In Eden

Lyrics

This track starts with a really, really long bit of almost silence (there's some bird sounds in there, but those usually tend to blend into the background noise of wherever I happen to be listening pretty darn well) and no matter how many times I listen to the album, it always, always makes me think iTunes has gone wrong. Unless I am not listening on iTunes, but that's fairly unusual. I don't know what is wrong with my brain that I can never, ever learn this fairly simple fact, but there it is.

Anyway, since I find that fairly annoying, I find myself predisposed to dislike this song, and it never really does anything to convince me that my first impressions are wrong. Maybe it would also help if I could relate to the whole experience the song describes, but... not really. I could slip into TV geek mode and say the "Old friends are acting strange/No one wants to know you now/People say you've changed" verse puts me in mind of John Crichton's exceptionally moving return to Earth after four years of trying, but that kind of indirectness is going to limit the song's ability to be particularly affecting, not that that's really what it's aiming for anyway.

I don't actively dislike the song, I just don't tend to think about it much unless I'm actually in the process of listening to it, and those kinds of ones are going to be the hardest to write anything much about. That's also probably the reason I never remember that blasted silence at the start.

This is the title track from its album, so it seems as good a place as any to mention that it has maybe my favourite cover art of Hogarth's tenure (the original one, not the crazy American version). It's nice and understated, and I really like the midnight blue.

No comments: